Hi and happy Friday! I’m sitting at my favorite spot, Function Coffee Labs, drinking an iced almond milk matcha latte. Only one more hour to get work done before the weekend, and I am ready to rest and relax. No big plans, which sounds perfect to me. There will probably be a trip to a farmers market, trying a new donut place, and working on some house projects.
Before we dive into the weekend, I’m sharing what’s been going on with me lately!
1. First week of IIN complete! I’m only a week into my health coach training with IIN and I can already tell this year is going to be transformative! I’ve spent more time this week reflecting, digging deep, and learning about myself than I ever have. I’ve spent time evaluating where I am in my health and setting intentions for this coming year. Going into IIN, my ultimate goal was to help others in their wellness journeys, but I am realizing now that in my studies my own health will impacted.
2. Breathing Breathing deserves a whole post of it’s own (maybe some day). I know we’ve all heard the importance of breathing, but I always felt too busy to focus on deep breathing. That changed when I heard Dr. Weil share breathing in an IIN lecture. He taught us the 4-7-8 breathing technique (breathe in 4 seconds, hold 7 seconds, breathe out 8 seconds, repeat 4 times) and encouraged us to do it twice a day. I’ve been doing this morning and night, and I feel so much calmer. I’m also seeing how breathing helps with my digestion and stress levels. Take it from the person who never stopped to deep breathe – take some deep breaths every day.
3. Iced Matcha Lattes I feel so late to this trend! It’s probably because I love coffee so much that I’ve never tried them. Well, a couple weeks ago Blake and I went to Function for afternoon coffee, and I wasn’t feeling coffee. I tried an iced matcha latte with almond milk and I was won over! I’ve been craving them every afternoon now. Where can I get good-quality matcha powder to make at home?
4. Stainless Steel Straws Don’t you think drinking with a straw is so much more fun? I’ve always loved straws, but hated the thought of having to keep buying them and then throwing them away. Plastic straws are a highlight in the news lately, and I won’t take sides on whether we should ban them or not. Personally, I like using reusable straws for functionality and reducing waste. I bought these stainless steel straws from Amazon a long time ago and love them! They are a little too narrow for my thick smoothies, but work great for iced coffee/tea, water, etc.
5. This blog post from The Real Life RD Being in the skincare and wellness spheres, I hear a lot of talk about how food impacts our skin. Yes, I do believe it can, but that’s only part of the equation. For example, acne has so many contributing factors including hormones, stress, food, products, etc. I won’t say that skincare alone will fix your skin woes (heck, I still get pimples), or that cutting out certain foods will cure them either. I found this perspective on how to handle acne so refreshing. Check out the blog post here.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! What have you been loving lately?